The purposes of the Association shall be as follows:
- To provide a forum for the exchange of information and for discussion on a wide range of subjects related to post-graduate colon and rectal surgical education.
- To maintain high standards of residency training and education in colon and rectal surgery by improving graduate education.
- To provide advice, assistance, and support to program directors on matters pertaining to surgical education or to accreditation.
- To encourage research in the education and training of colon and rectal surgeons.
- To represent the interests of program directors to other organizations, individuals, and governmental or regulatory bodies concerned with surgical education.
- To promote and develop an academic interest in teaching colon and rectal surgery.
- To transmit to the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery (ABCRS) such suggestions, comments, or ideas as may be of value in furthering our mutual interests and purposes.
- To advance, promote, and develop training programs in colon and rectal surgery in concert with the Residency Review Committee for Colon and Rectal Surgery.
- To promote, foster, and further a cooperative fraternal spirit among training programs.
- To obtain an adequate and fair distribution of the prospective residents in colon and rectal surgery among all the training programs.